Is VR a "must" for micro photography

Started Mar 12, 2013 | Discussions thread
Leonard Shepherd
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,377Gear list
Like?
Re: Is VR a "must" for micro photography
In reply to Joe Porto, Mar 15, 2013

Joe Porto wrote:

In my experience with the 105mm VR at 1:1 magnification, VR has no effect. It actually seems to make the image shake even more. That said, not all macro is shot at 1:1.

I have been using the 105 VR and occasionally the 70-300VR with 5T or 6T for years to get sharp 1:1, and slightly greater magnification images, hand held without flash that would otherwise be impossible without a tripod.

I could not get near this fairy foxglove in interesting light with the tripod I had with me because it was part way down a cliff edge. 70-300, VR on, 6T and hand holding got the shot.Unless your lens is broken I cannot explain why you cannot get similar results that would otherwise be impossible without a tripod.
-- hide signature --

Leonard Shepherd
Many problems turn out to be a lack of intimate knowledge of complex modern camera equipment.

Leonard Shepherd's gear list:Leonard Shepherd's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR +19 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow