Is it possible to Water-seal a Lens or Body (After-market)?

Started Mar 15, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
GlobalGuyUSA
Senior MemberPosts: 1,130Gear list
Like?
Is it possible to Water-seal a Lens or Body (After-market)?
Mar 15, 2013

Has anyone ever heard of a water-sealing service for lenses that aren't water-sealed or for bodies that can be better water-sealed (.. OTHER than housings and plastic/cloth sleeves, thanks)?  What I'm talking about is the actual application of rubber, sealants, etc.

(For example, my 135mm/2 DC is not water-sealed and I would be quite worried about using it even in a light sprinkle... even its DC-control buttons seem highly likely to catch water because they just feel loose.. compare that to my 14-24/2.8 which feel rock solid, has no appreciable gaps, and appears to have no problem in light rain.  Also, most third-party lenses aren't water-sealed or resistant.  And many older and lower-end lenses aren't water-sealed.  If it costs a fraction of replacing the lens to a higher-costing lens, or if there is no replacement even available, then there might be a service available and someone might have heard about it.  Maybe for bodies as well.)

Also, is the 28-300 VRII water-sealed?  It has an "ass-gasket" but the lens extends in much the same way the 24-70/2.8 does.  Is the 24-70 water-sealed?  Or are these just "gaskets"?  In particular, I'm asking about lenses which extend and contract.  Even the 14-24 does this (though its built-in hood covers the moving part), whereas the 70-200VRII has no issue because its fully contained in the body.  Is this a significant design difference (in terms of weather-proof status)?

I have too often found myself shooting in conditions where light rain suddenly becomes a down-pour.  Even one or two lenses are spared from mold or water-logging, it might be worth a reasonable price for certain lenses.

-- hide signature --

Sincerely, GlobalGuyUSA

GlobalGuyUSA's gear list:GlobalGuyUSA's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Nikkor 20mm f/2.8D Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Nikon AF Nikkor 135mm f/2D DC +4 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow