Flash groups and external cords 4 groups?

Started Mar 14, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
hwg
hwg
Contributing MemberPosts: 507
Like?
Flash groups and external cords 4 groups?
Mar 14, 2013

'If' I have this correct, I can actually use 4 TTL groups, is this correct?

I now have one SB-800, one SB-910, one SB-700

I am considering an extra SB-910 which will give me 4 strobes

Now on the back of my D300 I can have a master group and an A group and a B group.

On the back of my SB-910 (or SB-800) I can have a master group and an A group and a B group and a C group.

I have seen a 3 m (10 foot) external TTL cable (Lastolite Off Camera Flash Cord 3m - Nikon Pro - Wex number: PTW8374)

So can I put one end of this cable on my D300 with the other end on the SB-910 on a light stand on the right hand side of me camera and have this as the MASTER FLASH group (I assume this will be default as it will 'think' it is directly on the camera) not on the end of a piece of string.

then have the flash to my left as the A group

The rear flash point at the hair as the B group

and the flash colouring the background as the C group

and control the lot from the back of the MASTER FLASH (SB-910 on the stand to my right)

while still retaining full TTL exposure and adjust the power of each group from the MASTER FLASH ?

In theory I don't see why this wouldn't work.

The main problem I see with the Nikon cables are they are too short and coiled, which I hate, they are basically springs waiting to snap back - with an expensive flash on the end of it.

Or have I missed something?

Nikon D300
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow