Started Mar 14, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Jere Landis
Senior MemberPosts: 1,702Gear list
Like?
Kit lens and talent
Mar 14, 2013

So many people can't wait to sell off their kit lenses, I notice. There are a few that keep and use them and sing their praises. Let's say you took an extended trip and photographed many interesting things, landscapes and a wide variety of interesting subjects. They are nice photos and all your friends remark about how good they are.

Let's say you shot some with a fixed focal length, wide aperture capable lens and most were shot with the kit lens you have. As you show them to your friends, do they ask which lens that you used? When you look at them, do you value the ones taken with the fixed focal length more than the ones taken with the kit lens. Would you even remember which ones were which, say out of 1000 photos.

What test do you perform to determine that your kit lens isn't doing a good enough job? I am interested because I want to try the test myself. I've honestly been unable to see a great difference in my kit lens and primes taken at quality apertures, say f5.6 or f8. If light is a factor then that is a special case and then wider aperture may be even necessary.

Is it possible that the kit lens is a very practical lens for general purposes and walk around shooting, such as vacations etc.? I can't even imagine taking all those photos with one focal length and that that focal length is just right for each one. Ok let's say I have five different focal length lenses, MAN I can't imagine doing all those lens changes and still enjoying my trip. I hate changing lenses!

I believe the standard kit zoom, or one like it, is really a valuable photographic tool, especially if it has OIS, if the body has IBIS then it's all the same.

Does anyone agree or am I all wet?

Jere Landis's gear list:Jere Landis's gear list
Canon EOS 550D Panasonic Lumix DMC-G10 Olympus PEN E-PL3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Olympus PEN E-PM2 +11 more
Panasonic Lumix DMC-F5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow