Like?
Re: Hands-on Review: Canon EOS 6D
In reply to gfspencer, Mar 14, 2013

gfspencer wrote:

billythek wrote:

gfspencer wrote:

sean lancaster wrote:

MisterBG wrote:

How can we take your "review" seriously when it starts with a gross factual error:

To Quote:
"The CMOS sensor found in the Canon EOS 6D is the same found in the Canon EOS 5D Mark III."

I'm afraid that statement is simply untrue, and suggest you do some further research on the subject.

I noticed it now reads, "The CMOS sensor found in the Canon EOS 6D is essentially the same found in the Canon EOS 5D Mark III."

Several websites and several different reviewers have said that the two sensors are "essentially" the same. I don't see what the fuss is about. The 5DIII and the 6D both have a CMOS sensor and they are both full frame. Okay, the 5DIII's sensor is a little bigger. Big deal. I am certainly not technically smart enough to know how the two sensors differ in any other way so I'm not going to get excited about it. I just want to know the results.

If someone tells me that a Porsche 911 and a Porsche 911S have "essentially" the same engine I'm not going to get excited . . . even though the two engines have their differences.

The review is still interesting.

There are very significant differences between the two sensors, and their associated electronic circuits. The primary one that comes to mind is the difference in noise. The 6D has much less noise banding than the 5D3. The 5D3 is pretty good, in this respect, and it is certainly possible to take fine pictures using the 5D3, but for some people this difference is very significant. This is, in my mind, one key difference between the 6D and 5D3, where the 6D is superior (although not enough to make up for some other differences). Saying the two sensors are the same, or "essentially the same" is misleading.

-- hide signature --

- Bill

You are absolutely right. However, to those of us who are not tech savvy (like me) we are looking at two full frame CMOS sensors. I decided on the 6D (after having used my son's 5DIII) because I read that the 6D had better low light performance (and another of other things). My choice had nothing to do with the fact that the two sensors are technically different. When I learned that there are two types of sensors - CCD and CMOS - that stretched my technical knowledge to the breaking point.

Hello!

The Autofocus threshold is more sensitive in lower light (EV-3) which locks in dark situations, even moonlight. This isn't a property of the sensor!

-- hide signature --

Graham Clark | grahamclarkphoto.com

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow