Is the "wow" factor gone from camera upgrading?

Started Mar 13, 2013 | Discussions thread
rssarma
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,400Gear list
Like?
Over a period of time it changes from "Wants" to "Needs"
In reply to Ultradan, Mar 14, 2013

In the beginning stages of my foray into digital, I justified what I wanted as something I needed and did whatever I could to purchase those so called upgrades. But as I've gotten serious over the years and have understood what I truly need more accurately, I don't see the sense in upgrading anymore unless I absolutely need something.

I went through an array of Olympus DSLRs before finally settling on the Nikon D700 back in 2010. Since then, I've shot close to 30k frames which includes paid and unpaid work and I've never had a moment of dissatisfaction with my gear. In fact, it's only recently that I even "upgraded" my SB-600 to the SB-700 and couldn't be happier. I'm constantly amazed at how much I can do with so little.

So for me, the next upgrade wouldn't really be about features, as I have pretty much everything I need with my current setup, but it'll be more about size and weight. With a recent injury to my right hand, it's become harder to use the D700 + 24-120mm F/4 all day long, hopefully there'll be a much lighter alternative that I can switch to at some point.

-- hide signature --
 rssarma's gear list:rssarma's gear list
Nikon D700 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Nikon AF Nikkor 24mm f/2.8D Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow