Is the "wow" factor gone from camera upgrading?

Started Mar 13, 2013 | Discussions thread
Ultradan
Regular MemberPosts: 250
Like?
Re: Is the "wow" factor gone from camera upgrading?
In reply to tmurph, Mar 14, 2013

"Its the individual photographer who can get the best out of the subject he or she sees. Its your end statement that stands out- "What are others thoughts on this constant posting of pictures that dont really look any different to 10 year old cameras?" Ultradan, how can you tell the difference?"

- I cant, thats my whole point, but there are droves of posts from people putting up mediocre shots and asking what people think only to get upset when anyone points out that they look no different to anything a point and shoot or camera phone takes.

tmurph wrote:

Ultradan wrote:

I think the truth of the matter is that quality is so close across the entire ranges of digital SLR's these days, there is rarely any "wow" factor when people post photo's of their latest and greatest "upgrade", even with the top end models like the 1DX, D4 etc it is rare to see an image posted on here that really makes you think "money well spent". In my opinion this is because all of the great photo's that you see in life - you know the ones you look at and go "whoa", a scene from the front lines of war, nature in all it's glory, whatever, with these photo's it's the subject that really strikes you, be honest you never look at an amazing photo and go "oh that would have been way better on xyz camera do you?

It is my opinion that posting pictures online to show how well the latest eos or nikon looks really does little other than fuel the argument that you would have been better keeping your last camera - at least in 90% of cases, granted low light advances have been much needed and frame rates also for sports.

What are others thoughts on this constant posting of pictures that dont really look any different to 10 year old cameras?

Ultradan, upgrading wont make you a better photographer- I think, reading between the lines, you're already hinting at that- but an upgrade will help if the camera that you are using hasn't got certain facilities. Again though, I think you know that also. So at the end theres only one answer.

Its the individual photographer who can get the best out of the subject he or she sees. Its your end statement that stands out- "What are others thoughts on this constant posting of pictures that dont really look any different to 10 year old cameras?" Ultradan, how can you tell the difference?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow