So... I finally come to a decision to go with the OM-D... Is there any big hand users out there?

Started Mar 13, 2013 | Questions thread
sgoldswo
Senior MemberPosts: 3,757Gear list
Like?
GH3 wins (for me) but both are good cameras
In reply to Randell Tober, Mar 14, 2013

Randell Tober wrote:

In all the comparables the OM-D wins at least in my opinion, but being I can't handle one prior to purchase I'm a little concerned. I've ran into several mentions to the camera not being for big hands I thought about going with the gh3, but when put up against the OMD...it looks weak to me. I like the 4/3's as well as not having to spend as much on glass- vs SLR. right? Thouhts? Thanks

I have both the E-M5 and the GH3 (I've previously owned the E-P3, G5 and GX1 and still own an E-PL5 too). As far as I'm concerned the GH3 is the overall winner (IQ, EVF, Ergonomics, video, battery life etc, etc). That's not to say the E-M5 is a terrible camera, but IMO it does come up short measured against the GH3 (it's a year older so that's understandable).

Where the E-M5 does shine is in low light/low shutter speeds with unstabilised lenses. Arguably the small size (the flip out screen is handy though) is also useful for street photography, though I've found the retro design attracts attention. So if social/street photography were your thing go for the E-M5, otherwise the GH3 is more versatile. To the extent you have larger hands and plan to shoot for long periods I would strongly advise you to go for the GH3 - the E-M5 plus grip just doesn't cut it in comparison.

However, the best thing to do here is to get yourself to a shop and try both cameras out in hand.

sgoldswo's gear list:sgoldswo's gear list
Leica M Typ 240 Olympus E-M1 Nikon Df Nikon D810
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
+1New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow