So... I finally come to a decision to go with the OM-D... Is there any big hand users out there?

Started Mar 13, 2013 | Questions thread
NZ Scott
Senior MemberPosts: 3,301Gear list
Like?
I tried the E-M5 and it was a pig to handle
In reply to Randell Tober, Mar 14, 2013

Randell Tober wrote:

In all the comparables the OM-D wins at least in my opinion, but being I can't handle one prior to purchase I'm a little concerned. I've ran into several mentions to the camera not being for big hands I thought about going with the gh3, but when put up against the OMD...it looks weak to me. I like the 4/3's as well as not having to spend as much on glass- vs SLR. right? Thouhts? Thanks

Hello,

I own an Olympus E-P3 camera and when the OM-D came out I decided to give it a try with a view to upgrading (newer sensor, weather-sealing, viewfinder, IBIS that actually works). So, I went into a store and asked to try one.

It was an absolute pig.

The biggest issue for me was the sharp edges, particularly the ones around the lens mount. They dug into my fingers and annoyed the hell out of me.

I realise that everybody has different-shaped hands and that there are a lot of people out there who are quite comfortable shooting with the camera, but in my view it is absolutely essential that you try it in-hand before purchasing. I would suggest that you go to a camera club or something like that and ask someone to let you handle theirs.

Trying before buying should apply to any camera of course - but particularly to the E-M5 because it has not been designed with ergonomics in mind (unlike a DSLR or G5). Olympus has followed a design conceit by making it look cool at the expense of handling.

Apart from the ergonomics issue, it does seem to be a wonderful camera.

For the record, my hands are larger than average.

-- hide signature --
 NZ Scott's gear list:NZ Scott's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P3 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G II Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
+1New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow