ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
AndersOstman
New MemberPosts: 23
Like?
Need some advice choosing printer
Mar 14, 2013

Hi,
I'm about to buy a printer and read a lot of reviews and forum threads lately. And I know there's a lot of threads about Canon vs Epson...  But still, I need some advice here...
I'm thinking of buying an A3+/A2 printer to use for my photographic business where it is mostly weddings and portraits. For them I think I mostly will print on fine art papers.
Since I also shoot a lot of nature and concert photos I'll to sell some of them as prints as well.
For them I'll use both fine art papers and some kind of glossy papers.
My first thought that the Canon Pixma Pro 1 was the right choice for me:
* EISA Best product 2012-2013 
* DPreview Gold award
* Easy to use
* Larger ink capacity
* Less ink cost per print
* etc
Then I've read about Epson R3000 and heard a lot of good things about it.
My local camera store told med to choose the R3000 instead of Canons Pixma Pro 1 because of better prints and more great fine art papers to choose from. 
For what I know, I think the pros for R3000 are:
* Slightly better prints on fine art papers (I'm not totally convinced here)
* Wireless printing
* Smaller printer
* Can handle thicker papers
I've also had some thoughts about the Epson R3880 as well but it's been out there for some years now and maybe Epson will release a new version in near future...
So, mostly I will use the printer in my business but of course I'll use it to print a lot of good photos just for fun as well! 
So any thoughts about my pros for the Canon and the Epson and do you have any advice to finally know that I'll make the right choice? Do I need to have the cost / paper in mind or is it "just a irritating feeling"? Will the Canon print stunning black and white photos on fine art paper or is the Epson just much better?  Any new printers in the near future worth waiting for?
Any other printers I should check out?

Any other thoughts?
Thanks a lot!
/Anders

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow