How to remove Microsoft Bloatware from Windows 8

Started Mar 13, 2013 | Discussions thread
VirtualMirage
Senior MemberPosts: 2,355Gear list
Like?
Re: How to remove Microsoft Bloatware from Windows 8
In reply to Birk Binnard, Mar 14, 2013

Birk Binnard wrote:

If you look at the steps required to gain access to WinApps you'll see that it is protected by much more than just Hidden/Protected specifications. I'm not sure what methods are in use; I suspect there has been some code added to Win8 that gives it (the system) more control over things than Win7 had.

For instance, in Win8, even with UAC turned off, you still get the "You do not have permission...do you wish to continue" dialog to access certain files & folders. The popular theory is that this is done to impede viruses from changing certain system files.

-- hide signature --

Birk Binnard
www.birkbinnard.com/photography;

That is still not devious or mysterious, and nothing new either.

There are several folders within Windows Vista/7/8/2008/2008 R2 that are setup exactly the same way, managed by the OS.  It is more for security reasons than anything else.  By having these precautionary lockdowns, it will prevent (or at least make it harder) for someone or something to plant malicious a metro app (trojan, virus, tracking software, malware, adware, etc.).

The other reason, as mentioned by someone else, is it keeps most users out of a folder that if tampered with can break the functionality for another user on the same machine that might actually be using that application.

Here is a little more information on the that folder and how the Windows Apps work:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/hh464929.aspx

From the looks of things (and I need to try this out to confirm it) if there is only a single user on the machine and you uninstall the app, it should remove the package from the folder.  If there are multiple users on the machine, then it will only remove it from the start screen of the user who is requesting the uninstall.  It will have to be uninstalled from all users for it to remove itself.  Again, something I need to test to confirm.

-- hide signature --

Paul

VirtualMirage's gear list:VirtualMirage's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony SLT-A77 Sony a77 II Sony 50mm F1.4 Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX +24 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow