D800E... brand new, left focus issue.

Started Mar 13, 2013 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
newtoy Regular Member • Posts: 391
Re: D800E... brand new, left focus issue.

jmvdigital wrote:

Well I can't speak for Reikan, but its results have been consistent and accurate for me so far. I wonder if the inconsistencies you guys are experiencing with it are more due to the interaction/accuracy of the PDAF system with Reikan's targets, not the software itself. Maybe I'm wrong.

In any case, I am confidently boxing up this second D800E body. After more testing with the 35 1.4G lens that just came in, the left AF point is still HORRID. I shot Reikan's targets, the USAF target and some outdoors. I'm not talking about a little pixel peeping soft, I'm talking like it misfocused seemingly by feet, not inches.

The next body is due to arrive Monday I hope. That said, I was able to take some manual focus macro shots with the 105VR... wowsers! I see the potential, if the focus is sharp.

-- hide signature --

JMVDigital, Inc.
www.jmvdigital.com

I also found that Focal AF fine-tune results are very consistent, run it 3 times and the resulting setting are always the same. But unfortunately, the result are always wrong and unusable.

For the multi focus points test, I can create whatever result I like to see, left, right, center focus problem by light my target differently!

Reikan still have a lot of work to do!

If you rely on FoCal to check the left focus issue, I wishes you all the luck!

newtoy's gear list:newtoy's gear list
Nikon D70 Nikon 1 V2 Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +23 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
TOF guy MOD
TOF guy MOD
TOF guy MOD
TOF guy MOD
TOF guy MOD
TOF guy MOD
TOF guy MOD
TOF guy MOD
TOF guy MOD
TOF guy MOD
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow