Which quality paper-cutter without the cost?

Started Mar 12, 2013 | Discussions thread
motion
Contributing MemberPosts: 707
Like?
Re: Which quality paper-cutter without the cost?
In reply to Hugowolf, Mar 14, 2013

I'm in Europe so I'd expect there to be cm markers here.

Currently I don't have any printer (except for an Epson multi-function photo printer that can do A4 or less that is), so for the time being (I'm just starting up my photography business) I'm having a professional lab do all my printing. If business starts booming I'll consider getting my own printer, but at this stage I don't know what customers will demand so I have no idea what size printer I'd need either. What experiences do readers here have regarding which size prints customers want?

I'll be doing mostly portraits and probably some product/food/advertising too, so my guess is that A3 or less will suffice for most customers. In that case I could probably go for an A3+ capable printer such as the Epson R-2880 or similar, and have the lab do the occasional large prints, but of course that gets us back to the original subject of cutting those prints.....

Maybe I need to look into getting a second, larger cutter when the time comes and for now be happy with something which doesn't take up too much space, isn't too expensive, can be moved around easily but has a quality build. And for the occasional larger prints, would a good knife and ruler do?

Oh, a final question: will most cutters allow me to say split a sheet into several individual photos without damaging/scratching some of them, or are the more affordable ones made mostly just for trimming off excessive paper which will be thrown away anyway?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow