Senior MemberPosts: 2,830Gear list
Like?
Re: Att'n Noidesir and others. NEW ISSUES
In reply to noirdesir, Mar 14, 2013

noirdesir wrote:

Edymagno wrote:

noirdesir wrote:

Edymagno wrote:

To my big surprise, I found out that in Disk Utility, the Combo shows too as if it was another physical HD. I clicked on Verify but it reports free of problems. I clicked on Repair anyway. Did nothing. My Safari still not opening.

What you see there is a mounted disk image (which for all intents and purposes is treated by the OS like a HDD). You can eject it like any external drive or memory card after you have run the installer and then delete .dmg file that you downloaded from Apple.

I assume the Updater can be ejected with the button in Disk Utility or better, by right-clicking to Delete as I just found out this button is not active. Is there any particular reason for doing this other than having a cleaner window in Disk Utility? I can live with that but I would prefer to have just the actual phisical discs like the internal HHD and Externals.

(a) You don't need the mounted disk image more, thus there is no reason to not eject it. Much like you would eject a CD with an installer on it.

(b) The installer takes up space on your hard drive.

As I said, there are two things: (1) The mounted disk image (a virtual disk) and (2) the .dmg file.

(1) needs to be ejected like an external disk (in Disk Utility if your Finder preferences aren't set to show it on the Desktop or the Finder sidebar).

(2) The .dmg file can be deleted like any file but only after you have ejected the disk image.

Done. Thanks so much.

Eduardo

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow