D800E - who needs TC's or long telephotos? ;-)

Started Mar 5, 2013 | Discussions thread
Lance B
Forum ProPosts: 26,558Gear list
Like?
Re: D800E - who needs TC's or long telephotos? ;-)
In reply to SanMat, Mar 13, 2013

SanMat wrote:

Thanks Lance,

That's getting more tempting, though currently I'm watching more closely for reviews of the new 80-400mm. That could replace a couple of my lenses for the "walkaround" nature shots. Would be nice to pair it with a higher res sensor. Perhaps we'll hear an announcement of a true d300s replacement. D7100 looks nice but doesn't really interest me. If I get another aps-c camera, I'd rather have something faster and more robust, even at the cost of some megapixels. 16-20mp would suit me just fine.

As for processing - you mentioned it was easier than D800 - how has it been dealing with those file sizes? In my case it may require a computer upgrade, which I'm not in a hurry to do. Dealing with my D700/D300s files already seems to push my laptop a bit.

File sizes hasn't been an issue for me, but then I have quite an up to date computer with 16Gb of Ram and solid state drive, Intl i7-2600K CPU @ 3.4Ghz 4 core and 6Tb of storage.

Pete

Lance B wrote:

SanMat wrote:

Hi Lance,

Great results.

Thank you very much, Pete!

Are you shooting both D800E and D800? And if so - how different are they?

No, sold the D800 and kept the D800E. There is little difference, but enough extra res for me to keep the D800E, makes post process easier.

Thanks,

Pete

Lance B's gear list:Lance B's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 500mm f/4G ED VR +12 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow