Richard Franiec
Senior MemberPosts: 2,212Gear list
Re: Why do I post here?
In reply to Lin Evans, Mar 13, 2013

Lin Evans wrote:

Richard Franiec wrote:

SigmaChrome wrote:

DMillier wrote:

I'm disappointed you seem to take the general view that someone who suffers misfortune necessarily brought it upon themself. That's very harsh.

Who are talking about Dave? And exactly what misfortune? The OP took it upon himself to attack pretty much everyone who supports Sigma - whilst asking for assistance. Literally spitting in their eyes. Several people offered to help but he refused and then heaped on more derision.

Is this the way to get along in any community?

It can be true, but usually isn't. Historically there is a common habit of blaming the victim and thus escaping responsibility for contributing to the conditions that make misfortune for others unevitable.

You might find this report interesting reading http://www.jointpublicissues.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/Truth-And-Lies-Report-smaller.pdf. I found it so (despite usually having little regard for statements by religious institutions).

-- hide signature --

Vitee,

Let's take RonJ out of equation. The offensive language he used in some of his posts don't get my approval even if that was an act of desperation on his part. What I posted in this thread was not in RonJ defense directly.

Hi Richard,

What you deem "desperation," others see as "provocation." Even though one might metaphorically saw off the legs of their bed to prevent giving some provocateurs a hiding place, trolls do manage a way to keep coming back - even by changing their "handle" and sometimes disguising their ip address. People are not banned from dPReview multiple times because they are "victims." They are banned because they bait and provoke unnecessarily. Trolls follow a well established pattern here. They never use their real names, they never post their own work, but they often criticize the work of others, they often "claim" to own multiple cameras but refuse to authenticate that and sometimes they are caught in their lies. When they are eventually severely challenged, they feign persecution. If they are not banned, they sometimes slink away to only be reborn under yet another identity.

There is a difference between a "troll" and trolling behavior. Perhaps most of us are, at one time or another, guilty of some type of trolling behavior. But "trolls" do indeed exist here and on many forums.

I think that the problem here is deeper and more general. Point is that every one who dare to express his/her opinion going against the popular consensus and mindset of core Sigma users on this forum become the potential target for unprecedented, multiple attacks, mostly by the same posters. This happened in the past to Dave Millier, Raist and others.

The above is simply not true in my experience on this forum. Anyone can present a dissenting opinion and many have done so very effectively without being "attacked." What appears to often precipitate and exacerbate the situation is when a person continually repeats the same complaint in nearly every post to the point where readers do not even need to read the thread to essentially know what this person has said.

What Yvind posted initially, provoked some very emotional reactions. Resulted postings attacked him not just because he defended RonJ but rather because he went against the "establishment" on this forum, trying to uncover tactics and mechanisms ruling within the group. That is my impression and belief.

I don't see Yvind's behavior exactly as you. I don't believe there are any contrived "tactics" which "rule" within this group. Yvind's post and his somewhat provocative insinuations which I largely ignored, I interpret as messianic in nature. Speaking to a group in a condescending tone is not a way of proper arbitration in my opinion. It may have not been "meant" that way, but that is the way it was perceived, thus recoil from some.

Best regards,

Lin

Hi Lin,

I very much appreciate your response. Especially the tone of it.

We don't have to agree or disagree on everything, that would be against basic nature of individual mind and perception which all of us were blessed with.

In nature every action provokes reaction for a good reason of balancing things out and return to harmony. In environment we created for our human race not everything is so simple because we tend to "discover" and alter things to better suit our needs and desires. A lot we don't know or is outside of our control. Yet we will always interfere on reflex... especially to another human being. On an end we'll all have to pedal back to basics trying to find the equilibrium in order to save ourselves.

Richard

BTW, first thumb up to your post is mine.

Richard

-- hide signature --

learntomakeslidshows.net

Richard Franiec's gear list:Richard Franiec's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS-1D X Canon EOS M Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 +5 more
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
WowNew
(unknown member)
wow.New
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow