Yongnuo 603RF Flash triggers: How to fire studio lights to spot meter? Modify? or 602 better

Started Mar 13, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
reid thaler
Senior MemberPosts: 1,487
Like?
Yongnuo 603RF Flash triggers: How to fire studio lights to spot meter? Modify? or 602 better
Mar 13, 2013

I'm just starting with studio lighting.  I bought Travelite 3-Light Kit by Bowens, a battery pack, and a Sekonic L358 flash meter.

I'm looking for flash triggers for the lights and am leaning toward the Yongnuo, either the 603 or the 602.  My understanding is that the 603 are transceivers and one has to be mounted on the camera to fire the flashes. How does that practically work to meter each light?  It seems that I either need to:

1)buy the 603 (which have the advantage that it doesn't use the CR2 battery) and modify it by adding the resister described at http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/post/41659556 to make it a permanent transmitter,

2) buy an extra 603 so that I can used it as a shutter release to send a signal to the a 603 mounted on the camera so that I can meter the lights, or

3) buy the 602 which can fire the strobes while not mounted on the camera (but does have tripod thread)

Please enlighten me if I'm way off, or missing something obvious.  I can't figure how you could use the 603 and fire the flash to meter, unless you use another 603 as shutter release.

Thoughts or recommendations?

-- hide signature --

Thanks!
Reid
www.lumiograph.com
Kodak Brownie
Argus 126
Quaker Oats Container Pinhole Camera

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow