How long do we as challenge participants persecute the exposed cheats?

Started Mar 12, 2013 | Discussions thread
Slynky
Senior MemberPosts: 2,429Gear list
Like?
Another Different Viewpoint...
In reply to barb_s, Mar 13, 2013

barb_s wrote:

Suppose we have a known cheater from a year ago, when DPR management responded by closing extra accounts. I have not seen new evidence of cheating since then, but when I see someone from the big "what should be done with cheat's" threads enter a challenge of mine now, I have to consider how the participants also feel as well as wonder if it is fair to ban the person for DPR eternity, or would the time gone by be enough to give a chance now, a year later?

How would you feel competing in a challenge today with this sort of person also competing?

Opinions?

-- hide signature --

Barb

I see your point. Certainly, a penalty inflicted by one of us hosts shouldn't carry a more harsh sentence than, say, a sentence in a judicial system where a person is sentenced to jail for 6 months for shoplifting.

BUT, I look at it this way:

In absence of DPR doing much of anything about cheaters, we have had to step in ourselves and do something on our own. We do what little we ​can​ do. With what tools we ​do ​ have. I figure any lengthy application of banishment from challenges is ultimately the fault of DPR who promised changes and tools and have not delivered. In other words, if hosts had the tools that were described, I would imagine the "cheater flood gates" would be opened and everyone given a fresh new start (and any future cheating could be discovered using those tools).

So, from my opinion, they stay on the banished list as far as I'm concerned until DPR gives them a reprieve by revamping the website/challenges. It's DPR's fault, not the hosts who maintain the lists.

-- hide signature --

/A veteran is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to their country for an amount of "up to and including my life"./
(...from the generation that still uses capital letters and punctuation...)

Slynky's gear list:Slynky's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony E 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 OSS Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow