Started Mar 12, 2013 | Discussions thread
zackiedawg
Forum ProPosts: 22,152Gear list
Like?
Re: Good camera for night time cityscapes
In reply to trekkeruss, Mar 13, 2013

trekkeruss wrote:

zackiedawg wrote:

With any camera, the first thing you want to do is set the ISO to the lowest setting - this will not only yield the cleanest, most noise-free results, but will also force even an auto mode camera to take a longer exposure to absorb more light. If you happen to have a camera with a manual or Priority mode, use that instead - in Aperture Priority, you'll want to start off with a fairly small aperture such as F8, and the lowest ISO setting, and let the camera choose the necessary shutter speed.

Using a small aperture on a compact camera is not necessary, and can possibly be detrimental. A wider aperture won't affect the depth of field in a cityscape, but F/8.0 is often the smallest available aperture on compacts, and may exhibit more diffraction and a less sharp image.

Fair point - thank you.  I haven't used a compact in a while so I forgot that many of them have F8 as their smallest aperture.  Certainly something in the middle range of a given camera's aperture range should be fine.  I only mentioned a smaller aperture for compact cameras that might not have a full manual mode, or a shutter priority mode - just enough to force a longer shutter speed.

-- hide signature --

Justin
galleries: www.pbase.com/zackiedawg

zackiedawg's gear list:zackiedawg's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A580 Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony a6000 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake +24 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow