Started Mar 13, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Birk Binnard
Senior MemberPosts: 1,690
Like?
How to remove Microsoft Bloatware from Windows 8
Mar 13, 2013

By using very devious and mysterious techniques Microsoft has cleverly hidden about 4 GB of bloatware in it's Windows 8 operating system.  This bloatware is all located in the hidden/protected folder WindowsApps which is a subfolder in c:\Windows.

If you remove unwanted Metro apps from the Metro desktop Windows 8 will tell you they are uninstalled, but in fact they are not - they are still taking up disk space (or, in my case, what I consider to be fairly precious SSD space) in WindowsApps.

This link tells how to gain access to WindowsApps: http://www.thewindowsclub.com/windows-8-metro-apps-folder-location;

Once you have access to it you can delete things you no longer want.  So far I have deleted all the Bing stuff, that weird game who's name I can't remember (2 folders ), the XBox stuff, and the Zune stuff.  I need to do a bit more research on the other things in there, but my guess there is still more I can delete for real.

-- hide signature --

Birk Binnard
www.birkbinnard.com/photography;

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow