Comet PanSTARRS (yes another picture)

Started Mar 12, 2013 | Discussions thread
Bob in Baltimore
Regular MemberPosts: 436Gear list
Like?
Re: Comet PanSTARRS (yes another picture)
In reply to Rutgerbus, Mar 13, 2013

Rutgerbus wrote:

Thank you starrman1969.

I see in this forum some picture of the moon + comet together in one shot. Was hoping to achief the same, but, here in The Netherlands the comet was way next to the cresending moon and could not be captured in one shot (was using 300mm on FF)

Maybe a stupid question, but is the conjunction very different than the one on the other side of the atlantic?????

-- hide signature --

www.rutgerbus.nl
Photographic Moments

Not a stupid question.

Yes. It was very different on this side of the pond.

The Moon moves across the entire sky in a bit over 27 days, so its apparent motion compared to the stars (and even the comet) is very rapid. On average, it moves 13.2 degrees in a day .... that is 26 apparent lunar diameters. In the approximate 5 hours between your shot and mine, it moved 2.7 degrees or about 5 lunar diameters.

A wider angle lens would have helped, but it would still lack the proximity we saw here in the US. On the other hand, I wish I had brought my 70-300 mm lens with me. A little more reach would have made for a better picture,

Incidentally, neither your shot nor mine appears to have a correct time stamp.

-- hide signature --

Bob in Baltimore

Bob in Baltimore's gear list:Bob in Baltimore's gear list
Nikon D610 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-85mm F3.5-4.5G ED VR
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow