Started Mar 13, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
GirinoFumetto
Regular MemberPosts: 186
Like?
ViewNX 2: NEF to TIFF 16 conversion does a funny job
Mar 13, 2013

I tried to convert some Nikon NEF files to TIFF(16 bits) using ViewNX 2 in order to compare TIFF files from different cameras using a software of mine that exhibits dynamic range on a 16 bits basis.
These Tiff files gave, unexplainably, a too much worse result than, for example, those converted from Olympus Raw files.
This fact was not reasonable because the difference was enormous, so I traced my program to find out what was wrong with it.
Doing that I discovered a very strange fact: All the 16 bits color values had their high order byte identical to their low order byte!
Opening the tiff file with an hexadecimal editor I had the confirmation of this fact for all the pixels of the picture (Tiff files are simple to interpret).
So the 16 bits tiff files produced by my copy of ViewNX 2 where de facto 8 bits tiff files with the low order byte duplicating the high order byte instead of having a more reasonable value of zero, in other words, not only wrong resolution but also wrong value!
Too incredible; so I uninstalled my ViewNX and downloaded it again from the Nikon site.
I remade all the conversion and got the same results.
A little file slice:
from Olympus TIFF
21 16 59 17 49 14 5b 16 85 17 6c 14 77 16 23 16
from Nikon TIFF
66 66 27 27 92 92 65 65 26 26 8e 8e 61 61 21 21

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow