So... I finally come to a decision to go with the OM-D... Is there any big hand users out there?

Started Mar 13, 2013 | Questions thread
spdavies
New MemberPosts: 13
Like?
Re: So... I finally come to a decision to go with the OM-D... Is there any big hand users out there?
In reply to Sergey Borachev, Mar 13, 2013

Hi, maybe I can help... or confuse you more....

I just got the Oly EM-5 - it is a little brick of a camera and the ergonomics on it are not very good.

My other cameras are a D600 (good ergo) and a Panasonic G2 - a little dream of a camera.

Picking up the Panny is like putting on a warm glove - smooth, comfortable and familiar with all the controls in the right place. By comparison, the Oly feels cold and hard with sharp edges and the controls are very awkward to get to (I'm a 6' guy with hands to match). And I do have the grip - either the Oly one or that JB aftermarket one are essential, in my opinion.

I too had to decide between the Panny GH3 and the Oly EM-5. I really wanted to get the GH3 because I think that Panasonic just makes nicer cameras ergonomically, menu-wise, controls, everything. It feels like they are designed by people who actually use them for photography.

However, I went with the Oly for one reason only - in body image stabilization. I want to use the camera with my Nikon lenses. So I will put up with the uncomfortable design. (It does look cooler, too.) The fact that it is lauded for its IQ helps, also. And the Olympus lenses are good and some of them are very well priced.

The two reasons to go with the Panasonic are the more comfortable interface and, most important, the far superior video capabilities. If you plan to do much video and it's important to you, then no contest, get the GH3. For me, I don't do video.

That was my decision tree - hope it helps....

-- hide signature --

What if there were no hypothetical questions?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
+1New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow