Re: I guess it depends on your dictionary
In reply to Olyroo, Mar 13, 2013

Olyroo wrote:

DDeMars wrote:

Olyroo wrote:

photofan1986 wrote:

From the dictionary :

Idioms

"a couple of, more than two, but not many, of; a small number of; a few: It will take a couple of days for the package to get there. A dinner party, whether for a couple of old friends or eight new acquaintances, takes nearly the same amount of effort. Also, Informal, a couple."

You're welcome.

cou·ple (kpl)

3.(used with a sing. or pl. verb)
a.Two people united, as by betrothal or marriage.
b.Two people together.
2.Something that joins or connects two things together; a link.1.Two items of the same kind; a pair.n.

Hmmmmm. When I went to www.thefreedictionary.com and looked up "couple," I got this:

cou·ple (kpl)

I think you went to the same dictionary as me. I'm 60 later this year and grew up with a couple = 2, a few = 3 and several =>3. But hey Gen X are running the show now and we all know they can't spell but I didn't think it had come down to re writing the dictionaries.

5. Physics A pair of forces of equal magnitude acting in parallel but opposite directions, capable of causing rotation but not translation.a couple of days.4. Informal A few; several:
b. Two people together.
a. Two people united, as by betrothal or marriage.3. (used with a sing. or pl. verb)2. Something that joins or connects two things together; a link.1. Two items of the same kind; a pair.n.

OK, well I will turn 58 this year, so I have to tell this story.

When I was a kid (I was probably in about the third grade, so this would have been back in the early 60's) I was under the impression that "couple" means a few, and I used it in that sense in my Dad's presence when I was apparently referring to more than two and he corrected me "no, a couple means two." I actually didn't believe him but I looked it up and it was true (the dictionaries in the sixties backed up this assertion.)

That got kind of burned into my brain back then and I was always careful to use "couple" in the correct sense. So I was quite startled a few years ago to find that the mistake I made as a child has now entered into the arena of acceptable usage.

Frankly, I consider the use of "a couple" to mean a few to be sloppy usage at best, and I don't do it myself. But I can't argue with somebody else who uses it that way, as it is common enough to have found its way into all the standard dictionaries. Language changes and some things that were considered incorrect when we were children are no longer so. It may annoy me sometimes but I try to be philosophical about it because arguing against it is surely useless.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow