Resolution test, between crop (18MP) and fullframe (12.8MP)

Started Mar 12, 2013 | Discussions thread
probert500
Senior MemberPosts: 1,124Gear list
Like?
Re: Resolution test, between crop (18MP) and fullframe (12.8MP)
In reply to gatorowl, Mar 13, 2013

gatorowl wrote:

nedelcho wrote:

I've read here several times allready, that crop cameras has much lower resolution, than even the old 5D, even with a very good lens. So I grow tired of such claims without any backup (except from the questionable DXO site) and decided to test this for myself. Unfortunately the weather here is so so now, so I've tested in the city (not a landscape) and the weather is changing so fast, that in the seconds which cost me to change bodies the sun went behind clouds. Even so, here are the pics, to judge for yourselves. I'll leave my commentary for now and add it later.

Canon EOS 5D + 24-70mm f/2.8L II @ 41mm & f11

Canon EOS 60D + 24-70mm f/2.8L II @ 26mm & f8

-- hide signature --

Thanks for the effort, but it strikes me that you are making a straw dog argument. I don't know anyone who claims a lower pixel count FF camera out-resolves a modern high pixel count camera in good light.

The benefit--if any--will be seen in noise level, tonality, and crispness, not in the level of detail.

By the way I'm sure that you picked the aperture values to achieve some equivalency. However, I would try to shoot best against best. At f11 defraction is clearly taking a toll on the image. I would like to see both images shot at the lens' best aperture to provide a fair comparison.

I agree - diffraction. I'd also guess there are other lense factors at work. For example: If the OP isn't using a tripod it's harder to be stable at 60mm. Also what are the lense characteristics at the used focal lengths.

Your statement rings true from my experience. A full frame image will have a more open dimensional feel.

probert500's gear list:probert500's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
trueNew
60DNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow