Has anybody seen the starr comet in the northern hemisfere

Started Mar 12, 2013 | Discussions thread
OpticsEngineer
Senior MemberPosts: 2,463Gear list
Like?
answering the OPs question
In reply to Placation101, Mar 13, 2013

That was a better post than mine in terms of answering the OPs question.

The post below showed a good result on a Sony A99.   For a good picture, lower ISO and longer exposure time and a tripod is certainly better than my handheld shot.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3400196

And of course a fast long focal length lens would be a big help.  But it is still worth taking a picture even with something like a standard 55-300 zoom lens even if it is as slow as f/6.3 fully zoomed out.

From the time the sky became dark enough to see the comet,  knowing where to look, to when it disappeared into the dust in the sky toward the horizon, was about 15 minutes for us tonight.  So you do need to have a good idea of what settings you want to try.  Also, for my 1/20th second shots, the comet was not visible in the camera display.  I knew where to point the camera based on seeing where it was with my naked eye relative to the moon.  I just took a few shots and hoped the comet would be visible when I downloaded the image onto the computer, which it was.

OpticsEngineer's gear list:OpticsEngineer's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Canon PowerShot SX40 HS Canon PowerShot SX260 HS Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX20V Fujifilm XF1 +22 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow