Should I upgrade from Nikon dx to fx

Started Feb 21, 2013 | Discussions thread
spqr_ca
Contributing MemberPosts: 672Gear list
Like?
Re: Should I upgrade from Nikon dx to fx
In reply to jjsterling, Mar 13, 2013

jjsterling wrote:

Which should I buy the D7100 or the D600.

What do I gain with a FF

I would be using it for wedding and portraits.

So, the immediate differences of interest are:

1. DoF control will be better on the D600 with the larger sensor. Conversely, the D7100 has no low pass filter and so would arguably be sharper. However, for a lot of wedding and portrait work, being too sharp can actually be less appealing.

2. All things being equal, I would probably expect the D600 to perform a bit better at high ISO. That's not a given, sure, but usually with bodies relatively close to each other in time, the bigger sensors do better in this arena.

No I cannot aford the d4. dont like the d800

I'd be curious to know your reasons on the D800. I have it, chose it over the D600, primarily because the sheer amount of detail creates so much opportunity. Mind you, going back to my first point, that may be a strike against it for your purposes. At any rate, the D800 really does feel very nice in the hands and I don't say that lightly coming from Pentax who, in my opinion, are the best at ergonomics.

spqr_ca's gear list:spqr_ca's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow