Sigma 30 f/2.8 vs Sony 35 f/1.8

Started Mar 12, 2013 | Discussions thread
GaryW
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,930Gear list
Like?
Re: Sigma 30 f/2.8 vs Sony 35 f/1.8
In reply to nrcole, Mar 13, 2013

nrcole wrote:

I have the 30 but I'd like to one day swap it for the 35. I can live without the razor sharpness of the 30,

Well, just use a stop higher ISO, and add some NR, and there goes your razor sharpness!

would love to OSS

Yeah, it can come in handy.  Also good for video.

And 1.8 for low-light, and have always felt the 30 renders a little bit flat which I think the 35 sounds like a little bit of an improvement on.

I think the bokeh isn't too exciting, but that aside, the lens seems pretty good. The 35 is probably a better lens in many ways, but you can't deny the value of the Simga 30!

As far as the discussion of focal ranges, I always found 35mm to be a bit too long, always wanting a wider angle.  And a 50mm becomes a bit of a specialty lens.  Then again, I like it for portraits.  Sure, a 60mm would be even better for portraits, but not too many compact 60mm lenses for the Nex.    I suppose I could use the 55-200 for that use as well....

But between the price and the angle, I can't see myself being interested in the 35mm.  Oh well.

-- hide signature --

Gary W.

GaryW's gear list:GaryW's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony Cyber-shot DSC-V3 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX5 Sony Alpha DSLR-A100 +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow