Started Mar 13, 2013 | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
DMJATL830
Junior MemberPosts: 27
Like?
BACKGROUND OVER EXPOSURE WITH FILL-IN FLASH AND NEX6
Mar 13, 2013

I have recently moved up from P & S to the NEX6 and so far have had a great time exploring and learning about real photography.  In the old days, I would frequently use the fill-in flash for the usual outdoor portrait/landscape scenes shot in the middle of the day with generally good results.

I know it has been mentioned on this forum but have not seen a post with a good solution on how to avoid GROSS OVER-EXPOSURE of the background on typical fill-in flash shots with the NEX6.

On a recent trip to Lake Tahoe, I had a really tough time getting a decent exposure on these shots.  The camera set in "A" or "P" mode tended to drop the shutter speed down to 1/60 or 1/80 or would bump the ISO, which was set in Auto, up to as high as 640.  I was using spot metering trying to lock on to the background and letting the flash fill in the subjects faces with only variable results.

I am thinking that Multi metering and manually limiting ISO to 100 or 200 and closing down the aperture to F/8 or F/11 would be a good start though I am still a newbie.

Anybody have any suggestions for a "go to" setting for this situation.  I have done great with my point and shoot cameras in the past and I am sure that the Sony NEX system is capable of handling this without me having to go into LR4 to do some serious editing on my RAW images.  Thanks

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Sony Alpha NEX-6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow