RRS Ballhead Choice

Started Mar 12, 2013 | Discussions thread
WeberPoint
Contributing MemberPosts: 570
Like?
Re: RRS Ballhead Choice
In reply to mking7, Mar 13, 2013

I would go with the BH-55.

I first purchased the BH-40 for use with my 5D and 70-200 f4.  For the most part, it worked well, and is certainly capable of supporting your 70-200 f2.8.  The only problem, for me, occurred when I wanted a very precise framing.  In these cases, I noticed a tendency of the head to sag or droop once it was locked down.  Not by a large amount, but enough to drive me nuts if I was trying to get a very specific framing.  After living with it for a couple of years, I bit the bullet and got the BH-55.  This thing is as solid as a rock.  Set it and forget it.  No droop.

I still use the BH-40, especially when I am travelling light.  I have it mounted to a smaller 2-series Gitzo.  Closer to home, I will always use the BH-55 (currently mounted on an RRS TVC-34L tripod).

Bottom line is that they are both very good ballheads.  I just think the BH-55 is better.  In the long run, I think this is the one I would choose for your lens, particularly if you are also using it with something like a 1D, or a 5D/7D with grip.

-- hide signature --

mrainwater.com

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow