Started Mar 9, 2013 | Discussions thread
This thread is locked.
yvind Strm
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,130
Re: A Few Quotes....
In reply to SandyF, Mar 12, 2013

SandyF wrote:

yvind Strm wrote:

Lin, I do agree that many of this statements are way over the line, and as such I do not defend them. But you can't take them out of context like that. Where are the insults that led to those comments? Maybe not directly, but through repeated attacks.

RonJs comments were not like that in the beginning. Neither was any other posters that came here first time.

Often a poster comes here, and may have an unfortunate wording. And this is where it goes wrong - if there is any chance that it is a troll, he is jumped at. Especially if he has a low post count. RonJ is not the first this has happened for.

I think the first thread RonJ started is worth taking a look at. http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/post/50529614

that may have been his first thread under that username, but he himself posted that he previously posted under a different name.

Did he say what the name was, or is it a guess by someone who keep records of all previous "trolls", and assumed identities. I mean, it is one of the classic tactics used to miscredit people here. Ther must be a huge, hidden Intelligence cell, somewhere hidden in the Evangelists off forum interaction.

You have common sense, Sandy. He says he have posted under another name, but that  does not prove he has had the identity that he quickly was assumed having.

Plus major portions of several threads have been deleted, including some early nasty posts by "RonJG" but including also the one where he made that statement. You'll just have to believe me that posts have been deleted and the thread locked.

I know. (I would have believed you even if I didn't know) I do read most of the things here even if I do not post every day anymore. But correct me if I am wrong, the deletions/lockings regarding the user RonJ took place after the thread I linked to? Or else he would not have received civil responses from 17 people (incuding Lin and Laurence), would he? So, I stand by my claim that it is the uncivil responses from the the like of the 9 people in the thread I pointed to, that pushes a newcomer into talking back. It is just not OK, EVEN if one assume that the poster has a hidden history.

But, deletions makes it difficult to go back to find evidence of one thing or another. And since so many (Laurence included) treated the man nicely

You've missed a lot, Yvind.

Sandy, as I said, I read most of what happens here. And as you know, it is not the first time I adress the uncivil behaviour of some people here. Everytime I say to myself afterwards, whats the point? - I can't change a thing. But then someone really provoking is posted, and then I can't keep quiet. If I had the diagnosis Laurence suggested - "profilierungsneurose" :-), I should be posting more often, and all my posts should be longer.

Take care, Sandy.

Best regards, Sandy
http://www.pbase.com/sandyfleischman (archival)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/sandyfleischmann (current)

-- hide signature --

Kind regards
Øyvind

Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
WowNew
(unknown member)
wow.New
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow