Which MacBook Pro for d800?

Started Mar 8, 2013 | Questions thread
expireduser
Regular MemberPosts: 161Gear list
Like?
Re: Which MacBook Pro for d800?
In reply to Swiss L, Mar 12, 2013

Trust me, don't get anything but a retina display. I've recently switched to a 15" retina display and anything else looks awful to me now. It's a huge game changer, especially since you are a photographer and will appreciate the difference - the screen is literally print quality. I shoot with a Sony NEX-7, 24 megapixel raw. I'm using a 2.6Ghz quad core retina MacBook Pro,and it's reasonably snappy running Lightroom 4.3, it definitely could be snappier but I'm content. I wouldn't want to use a 13" dual core, judging from the quad-core performance I'm seeing.

I would personally recommend this $1779 refurb direct from Apple:

http://store.apple.com/us/product/FC975LL/A/refurbished-macbook-pro-23ghz-quad-core-intel-i7-with-retina-display

8GB RAM is fine, I have 16GB but Lightroom never uses much more than 3GB - I just tested memory usage the other night for a bit. Your 36MP raw images will use a bit more memory than my 24MP raw images, but I bet 8GB is still fine. 16GB would probably just allow you to cache more previews in memory, if you want to instantly switch between several images without hitting the extremely fast SSD. The retina display MBP supports USB 3.0, so external storage/backup will be fast and cheap.

expireduser's gear list:expireduser's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN Sigma 19mm F2.8 EX DN +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow