Started Mar 9, 2013 | Discussions thread
This thread is locked.
Laurence Matson
Forum ProPosts: 11,097Gear list
Imaginings
In reply to Richard Franiec, Mar 12, 2013

Richard Franiec wrote:

Laurence,

I got nothing against beta testers. In fact, I do believe that they have crucial role in discovering faults and inadequacies in any new product or prototype. There is nothing to be ashamed of to be in the position to use one's expertise in truthful evaluation of given product and pointing out areas requiring improvements. Sometimes the improvements are not possible under current state of affairs and this is understandable but denial or discounting the fault by tester is not.

Good.

What I find disturbing is the presence of the beta tester or insider on the public forum, not per se but acting in the role of manufacturer's representative, or if you like, compensated or not shill. Forcing (repeatedly) one sided views with more or less diplomatic approach including attacks on people with different perspective gives away their identity and agenda. Who benefits from such behavior? The community? Sigma? I don't believe that lashing others to submission is the way of work acceptable for great educators, which most familiar with the subject should be. I also don't believe that untruth or partial truth becomes the truth when repeated a thousand times. Maybe this approach works for some but majority of regulars on many forums (especially this one) are independent, open minded thinkers who can read between the lines or like you would phrase, separate chaff from grain.

Of the people, who I have known working more closely with Sigma or Foveon by invitation, I do not know of one person, who fits the mold you have defined. At least not consistently. Not one. I believe you are projecting a model on to people that fits some perception you have of how. More often than not, the people with an agenda are those, who are disappointed, such as Ron or Øyvind, both of whom have ranted here about their SD14s. And when they got a push back in the form of a solution, they regarded it as some aggressive attack.

If you read Hulyss's post without your filter above, I think you have a clearer portrait of what passionate people do. And were you as careful a reader over the long term as you expect others to be in public with their language, you would have discovered that omission is an art form of discretion and solution-finding is motivation to speak.

Look at the cräp Kendall has to put up with by constantly telling people that there is a solution to the battery problem with the DPxM: turn off your camera between shots. He is not avoiding the problem; he is providing a solution.

For instance, the SD9 was launched 10 years ago with a funny haloing approach to solving blown highlights. Someone at Foveon probably thought this hack would fly. It was mentioned by Phil almost immediately. Since Foveon contacted some people here about possible solutions - I was not part of that - the level of criticism dropped right away while something was worked out. I cannot recall any postings about a "solution is on its way" and I have been banned from researching past postings by our new moral leader Øyvind, you will have to take it on faith that this might have happened and most certainly has at other times - see recent postings on Adobe working on Sigma cameras for ACR.

I don't like terms like Sigmafia, or fanboy, plentiful on this forum and I never use them. Since you have mentioned word "Evangelist" coined by the Sigma's founder for the close circle of followers, I think that this term is more adequate, palatable and also revealing. We'll see if it sticks:-D

He did not use the term for any "close circle." He used it with reference to every Sigma user out there. And if you were to read what Kazuto has written and said in public, you would understand that he thinks the same way.

On end of this musing I wish for more civility and respect for others and their opinions if that's not too much to ask.

No problem there. Just keep your imagination under control and do not project too much on to me or others. Taking someone at face value, i.e. reading carefully what they say at different levels, is equally as important. And don't come back to me about misreading Øyvind; I have read enough of his postings over the years. And you forget, perhaps, that my expertise is not in cameras by a long shot; it is in language and reading carefully what someone has written in one language to translate it into another.

-- hide signature --

Laurence
laurence at appledore-farm dot com
"The fact of being reported multiplies the apparent extent of any deplorable development by five- to tenfold" (or any figure the reader would care to supply).
Barbara Tuchman, A Distant Mirror
http://www.pbase.com/lmatson
http://www.pbase.com/sigmadslr
http://www.howardmyerslaw.com

Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
WowNew
(unknown member)
wow.New
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow