How many leave the Big Dog (D700/D800) at home while traveling and take a smaller camera instead?

Started Dec 3, 2012 | Discussions thread
FtoDin5min
Regular MemberPosts: 401Gear list
Like?
Re: How many leave the Big Dog (D700/D800) at home while traveling?
In reply to ARB1, Mar 12, 2013

I do a lot of personal traveling. I found my personal answer to your question not in the gear but in the bag and strap.

If you have a very good bag, carrying the camera + other stuff won't be an issue at all.

If you have a good strap, with good weight distribution, you won't hesitate walking around for long with the camera and be able to even point and shoot as much as needed...

If you do not have both of these, take your phone or other P&S with you.

I have used the D800 with the heavy 24-70 on numerous trips using good bags and straps, always with small kids, and it never was a problem at all. The one thing that was really annoying was when I initially used a laptop that was too slow to process the D800 files. I just switched laptop

People will also warn you about visibility of the camera, thieves, etc... I am well insured and tend to not pay attention to that. If someone wants to steal something, just don't fight it and put yourself in danger. But make sure you have a frequent back-up of your pics, these are not insured and much more precious...

Have fun!

-- hide signature --

FTD5

FtoDin5min's gear list:FtoDin5min's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/4G ED VR Adobe Photoshop CS6 extended +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Re:New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow