Started Mar 12, 2013 | Questions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Junior MemberPosts: 26
Can't decide which camera to purchase
Mar 12, 2013

Hi everyone,

I regularly follow DPReview articles but haven't participated much in the forums.  However, I am in the market for a new DSLR and am having just the hardest time deciding which direction to go.  Let me first give you a little background on what I am typically shoot.  Most of my shots are of the travel, architecture, landscape/nature, and macro variety.  Most importantly though, I need something to take pictures of my very active toddler.  I tend to shoot mostly in manual mode, so something with a lot of external controls and/or custimization would be nice but not absolutely essential.  Probably the two or three things I am looking for most in a camera are high IQ from JPEGs (I just don't have the time right now to shoot RAW and play around with the files no matter how much I would like), good low light image quality (balance between noise reduction and detail preservation in JPEGs), and quick focus speeds (although I realize this is also dependent on the lens).  My most recent experience is with the Sony SLT A35 that was my father-in-laws, but when I moved for my new job I had to give it back to him.  At this point, I am not wedded to any brand or system and I think this is part of my dilemma since there are so many options.  While I would like to have a camera sooner rather than later, I am not in a huge rush so am willing to wait for new models or price decreases in some recently released cameras.

So with all that, let me tell you what I have been looking at:

Nikon D700 (but with the D7100 could wait for that)

Canon 60D

Sony SLT-A65

Pentax K-5II

Like I said, I am pretty all over the place brand-wise.  I'm pretty sure I could be happy with any of these as there are a lot of people taking great pictures with them all.

I would really appreciate any input from people on this forum to steer me towards or away a certain brand.  I am also open to other options.  I don't really want to spend more than ~$1100USD on a body only (but it doesn't have to be that much).

Thank you in advance for any advice.

This question has not been answered yet.
Canon EOS 60D Nikon D700 Nikon D7000 Nikon D7100 Pentax K-5 Pentax K-5 II Sony SLT-A35 Sony SLT-A65
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow