ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
ber223
Junior MemberPosts: 26
Like?
Can't decide which camera to purchase
Mar 12, 2013

Hi everyone,

I regularly follow DPReview articles but haven't participated much in the forums.  However, I am in the market for a new DSLR and am having just the hardest time deciding which direction to go.  Let me first give you a little background on what I am typically shoot.  Most of my shots are of the travel, architecture, landscape/nature, and macro variety.  Most importantly though, I need something to take pictures of my very active toddler.  I tend to shoot mostly in manual mode, so something with a lot of external controls and/or custimization would be nice but not absolutely essential.  Probably the two or three things I am looking for most in a camera are high IQ from JPEGs (I just don't have the time right now to shoot RAW and play around with the files no matter how much I would like), good low light image quality (balance between noise reduction and detail preservation in JPEGs), and quick focus speeds (although I realize this is also dependent on the lens).  My most recent experience is with the Sony SLT A35 that was my father-in-laws, but when I moved for my new job I had to give it back to him.  At this point, I am not wedded to any brand or system and I think this is part of my dilemma since there are so many options.  While I would like to have a camera sooner rather than later, I am not in a huge rush so am willing to wait for new models or price decreases in some recently released cameras.

So with all that, let me tell you what I have been looking at:

Nikon D700 (but with the D7100 could wait for that)

Canon 60D

Sony SLT-A65

Pentax K-5II

Like I said, I am pretty all over the place brand-wise.  I'm pretty sure I could be happy with any of these as there are a lot of people taking great pictures with them all.

I would really appreciate any input from people on this forum to steer me towards or away a certain brand.  I am also open to other options.  I don't really want to spend more than ~$1100USD on a body only (but it doesn't have to be that much).

Thank you in advance for any advice.

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Canon EOS 60D Nikon D700 Nikon D7000 Nikon D7100 Pentax K-5 Pentax K-5 II Sony SLT-A35 Sony SLT-A65
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow