Started Mar 8, 2013 | Questions thread
ultimitsu
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,512
Like?
Re: Correct
In reply to technic, Mar 12, 2013

technic wrote:

usedtobedontrustme wrote:

Here is some conjecture on my part. I would think that an a asp-c camera with an asp-c lens gets more magnification from the lens and imprecisions in the less would be more conspicuous under the scrutiny of the magnification. However, I'm confesson that I never took a lesson.

Yes, an APS-C lens needs to be more precise for the same IQ. But reality is that it is often easier to make small lenses to better perfection, for a reasonable price. Look at the tiny lenses from e.g. some Panasonic/Leica lenses on the Panny TZ, they often have very high optical quality.

Panasonics/ leica are not quite comparable because these lenses are designed differently from ground up. and often use fairly expensive coating. on the other hand Canon EF-S lenses generally follow more or less the same basic designs as their EF lenses. the difference in size isnot much. For example, 10-22 isnt much smaller than 17-40, 15-85 isnt much smaller than 24-105.

But the main point would be, yes generally lenses of the same class is slightly cheaper on EFS than EF, they are definitely not closer to perfection.

A 4x standard zoom with midrange price is a different story.

24-85 on D600 produces better IQ than 17-55 on 60D, despite it has more zoom ratio and cost about half the price. I have them both.

Quite often such an FF zoom will be a bit better in the image center, but worse in the corners compared to a similar APS-C zoom. Same applies for SWA range, e.g. 17-40 against 10-22.

17-40 is simply a not so well designed lens. corner performance difference between 24-105 and 15-85 isnt much, that is when 24-105 isnt a particularly good lens either.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
SFRNew
TrueNew
DogsNew
LMAONew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow