IQ of 7d w 15-85mm Vs 6d w 24-105mm?

Started Mar 8, 2013 | Questions thread
usedtobedontrustme
Regular MemberPosts: 456
Like?
Re: Would you accept 550d / 15-85 to 6D 24-105 review? (Same sensors / lenses)...
In reply to Adza, Mar 12, 2013

Adza wrote:

usedtobedontrustme wrote:

I'm surprised that no one has said, "I went from a 7d with the 15-85 to a full frame with a 24-105 and ....." becauseI thought there would be lots of people with experience with both combos.

I can come close. I've gone from a 550d with a 15-85 to a 6D with the 24-105. (Effectively the same sensor, so should be pretty similar results).

While I'm no expert, it definitely appears as though the photo's from the 6D's combination are much sharper. With the 7d - if I viewed at full resolution / full crop - the picture was a little soft. This never worried me, as I knew I was "pixel peeping" and the final image was always fine when printed.

However, what I have noticed is that if I do the same thing with the 6D's photos with the 24-105 - the images look much sharper at 100% resolution than I ever expected, or could get from the 550D / 15-85.

Not being an expert - but I still figure, if they're sharper at 100% resolution, then they're sharper all round. It's really blown me away. Not that I was ever disappointing with the 15-85 on the 550D - but I didn't expect that much jump in IQ when upgrading. (I was more just expecting less noise at higher ISO's) - so it was a pleasant surprise.

I'm pretty confident you'll love your 6D combination. The high ISO / low noise is out of this world!

Hope this helps...

Thank you, Adza. That is very helpful and encouraging. At least with the 6d I'll be able to crop more. That will make it more versatile which will come in handy even though I plan to keep my 7d. Today, for example, I was taking some landscape shots but geese kept fly low over a nearby frozen pond and shots of them are probably my best shots of the day.

-- hide signature --

Some of my pics are in my DPReview Gallery
dt

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
SFRNew
TrueNew
DogsNew
LMAONew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow