Started Mar 10, 2013 | Discussions thread
steve88
Contributing MemberPosts: 888Gear list
Like?
Re: Please Help Me Tweak My 7D to Improve Image Quality
In reply to seventhdr, Mar 11, 2013

seventhdr wrote:

pancamo wrote:

I dont see anything wrong with your 2 shots... its just boring... nothing really going on here special... mid day? Focus looks perfect... A little over exposed maybe, but its bright. AV compensate a little...

your lenses... for baseball, unless you are on the field, 200mm f2.8 is not enough... 300mm f2.8 is just enough from some sidelines, but 400mm f2.8 would be better (sometimes too much)... 100-400 or 200-400 would be nice for bball

I'd just like to echo the sentiment posted above, and shown in the photos from pancamo. I've had the same problem myself, and that is not getting close enough to the action. In your photos the action fills about 25% of the photo while in pancamo's photos the action fills at least 60% of the photo. Robert Capa, from Magnun, said "If your pictures aren't good enough, you aren't close enough." And I think that this is your problem. Partly it is an equipment problem, partly it is how your brain deals with what your eye sees.

For the equipment problem, try and either get closer, or if that is not possible get a longer lens, or if that is not possible (until you can get a longer lens) crop MUCH tighter to emphasise the action.

For the eye/brain problem, you need to work on understanding the sport, knowing where things are going to move to and try not to leave too much space around the action just incase the action moves into the space. This will involve some development work for you to train your eye/brain combination to work better.

Regards

Chris Stone

Thanks, Chris!  Yes, I agree that closer is always better (especially with sports).  For the two samples that I uploaded, I didn't crop them at all.  I just wanted to upload a quick sample so people could see the IQ and softness.  Normally, if I were going to keep those images, I would have cropped them much tighter...the first photo from the batter to the umpire and the second photo just the runner herself.  I'm dying to get the 300 f/2.8L or 400 f/2.8L but the money just isn't there right now.  Thanks for your feedback and suggestions!!

steve88's gear list:steve88's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 28mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow