Every one with SLR thinks he's a Photographer

Started Mar 8, 2013 | Discussions thread
rondhamalam
Senior MemberPosts: 2,540
Like?
Re: Every one with SLR thinks he's a Photographer
In reply to Biggstr, Mar 11, 2013

Biggstr wrote:

Completely agree ... and perhaps this is part of the reason that small and mirrorless is not catching on in the United States like it is in Asia.

I've been a photographer since 1962. I tried semi-professional work in the 1970s just as the "SLR" was becoming popular. I gave up. As a generalization, people didn't want to pay me for my skills; their baseline on price was what the drugstore would charge for prints of photos they took with their new SLRs. They especially objected to the prices I charged when I gave them prints from professional labs ... even at cost.

Back then, the common wisdom in the professional photographic community was that "being professional" or "being serious" was coming to mean having a big 35mm SLR with a big lens (compared to smaller range finder style cameras). It was getting harder for professional photographers to ply their trade.

That apparently has not changed as I see the proliferation of relatively large, heavy DSLRs with gargantuan megapixels and protruding zoom lenses ... all for posting low resolution photos on Facebook, Flicker, etc. I've transitioned to micro 43 based on size and weight issues and the advantages of live view with no degradation in IQ. But I'm almost universally alone with small and mirrorless as I view the landscapes filled with DSLRs at parks, playgrounds, and vacation spots.

Portability and flexibility determine the market demand.

It's happening on computer world.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow