Like?
Re: 19 pt AF
In reply to bobn2, Mar 11, 2013

bobn2 wrote:

jonrobertp wrote:

bobn2 wrote:

jonrobertp wrote:

They have only 15 cross sensors

Line sensors are also effective, and cross sensors are less effective towards the edge of the fame.

-- hide signature --

Bob

Sorry, but experience tells me it is not so. Not in dim light.

A little experience is a dangerous thing. " A little experience ...??? "   Are you talking about yourself ???  I am curious...how long have you been a professional photographer...doing which  type of work ?  thx.  sheesh....................................................................................................................

The theory would say that cross sensors would be less effective in dim light, since they need more (and therefore smaller) field lenses. The only thing a cross point does for you is give the ability to detect patterns in two directions instead of one, it does that at the cost of sensitivity. I would think it pretty rare that one gets to compare focus points by themselves, what we end up comparing is an AF system. Experience tends to be based on reinforced impressions - to say for sure, you'd have to go through some remarkably rigorous and painstaking testing. For instance, when Rob Galbraith tested the 1D3 AF against the 1D3, he didn't find any particular operational advantage to the edge cross points, taking the AF as a whole.

-- hide signature --

Bob

jonrobertp's gear list:jonrobertp's gear list
Sony RX100 Canon PowerShot G1 X II Canon EOS 70D
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow