Critique welcome (OMD+25/1.4+45/1.8) Locked

Started Mar 11, 2013 | Discussions thread
This thread is locked.
jkrumm
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,046
Some feedback
In reply to daanhaeyen, Mar 11, 2013

I like my photos a little on the dark side, but a few of these I would call underexposed, like the first one of the old woman, and a little girl farther on.

I use Lightroom and routinely adjust my exposure using the exposure slider. Sometimes I also will take the brush and just brush up the faces a little, increasing brightness.

There is no perfect exposure when it comes to photography, just a lot of personal preferences. If it looks too dark, it's too dark, and you need to figure out a way to make it lighter.

Taking photos that are really dark and then increasing the exposure in post will increase the noise you see, so it helps to have an "end use" in mind when taking the shot to avoid excess brightening. And be aware that these bright, colorful displays on the cameras can be misleading, so review the histogram and blinkies.

The compositions have the look of quickie shots like the ones I took at a family party yesterday. If you want a more careful arrangement use the viewfinder, and be aware of the whole frame as you are shooting. Think of it as a drawing. Of course sometimes your subject moves away as you carefully compose, and that's photography... Good luck!

-- hide signature --

John Krumm
Juneau, AK

Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow