Started Mar 11, 2013 | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
facedodge
Regular MemberPosts: 306Gear list
Like?
Is the 17mm TS-E really 17mm?
Mar 11, 2013

So I'm a bit confused. From what I can tell, when looking at the spec sheet of a lens, the focal lengths are usually identified independent of format and the 35mm equivalent is usually in parenthesis or easily found as it is the most widely understood concept for field of view for most people.
Okay fair enough. Focal length is an optical measurement of how strong the lens converges the light it receives.
So for example, if you look at the iPhone, it will tell you 4.1mm with an equivalent of 33mm in 35mm terms. If you look at EF-S lenses, it says, 18-55mm (29-88mm equivalent in 35mm)
My question is... are tilt shift lenses actually much wider than they are described since they are designed for the sensor to move within the larger image circle?
Is the 17mm TS-E actually wider than 17mm, but no matter how much you shift, you see a 17mm field of view image? If so, do the edges of the image circle have more wide angle distortion than the center?__________________
 facedodge's gear list:facedodge's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro +4 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
YesNew
yesNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow