EC-14 (1,4x teleconverter) - Please help me out!

Started Mar 2, 2013 | Discussions thread
dave gaines
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,162Gear list
Like?
EC-14 and 50 mm f/2 macro lens
In reply to RoelHendrickx, Mar 11, 2013

I dissagree with two posts above about the affect of using the EC-14 on a macro lens like the 50 mm f/2. It allows focusing from farther away but the minimum image size will be nearly the same.

Below is part of what I wrote earlier today in reply to a question about Olympus macro lenses and the Sigma 105 mm f/2.8 lens:

The Olympus 50 mm f/2 lens focuses in macro down to 2:1. The smallest image you can focus on, at the minimum focus distance, is 33 mm wide. Olympus gives the macro magnification in terms of a decimal, or 0.52. The inverse of that decimal number is close to 2, or macro at 1:2.

Adding the EC-14 teleconverter lens converts the lens to a 70 mm f/2.8 macro lens. This allows you to focus from farther away. It will still focus at 2:1, providing nearly the same 33 mm wide subject size.

Adding the EX-25, the 25 mm extension tube, makes the 50 mm f/2 macro lens a closer focusing, 1:1 macro lens. It will then focus on a minimum subject size of 17 mm x 13 mm.

Try focusing the lens on a metric scale, both with and without the EC-14. Move in close until you find the minimum focus distance of the lens, or set the distance scale to the minimum and focus by moving in. Hold the camera somewhat square over the scale. Check the wide distance of the image against the horizontal scale and read the distance through the OVF, or record an image.

-- hide signature --

Dave

dave gaines's gear list:dave gaines's gear list
Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Olympus E-330 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
YesNew
WOWNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow