ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Todd Jones
Regular MemberPosts: 301Gear list
Like?
D700 lens choice help please!
Mar 11, 2013

Hi everybody,

My wife just gave me the OK to spend some serious cash on a new lens. She said I could get the Nikon 24-70mm f/2.8 since it is on saleĀ  But I would like to tell you what I have, what I've read, what I shoot to give you a better idea of my particular issue.

I have a D700 with the grip that I leave on all the time, the weight does not bother me at all in fact I feel more comfortable with a heavy set up. I'm no pro by a long shot but I'm always carrying my camera around taking pics of no particular genre. landscapes, my daughters cheer squad indoor & out, family & friends, car shows, on and on etc. I just love photography.

I just sold my Nikon 28-300mm, which I'll probably be kicking myself soon down the road. I was pretty darn happy with that lens. I do have a new nikon 70-300mm VR, a nikon 50mm f/1.8D, and a new 85mm f/1.8G that really really impresses me. I guess my general idea for this shift in lenses was to get just a bit better optics an forgo the "all in 1" solution of the 28-300mm. Now I'm looking for a wider zoom to fill the void.

I know I have the OK from the "boss" to get the 24-70mm, but I'm having a problem spending that much! I've read so many reviews on lenses lately that none of them sound good!

Lenses I'm looking at:

Nikon 24-70mm f/2.8 $1687 on sale, lens buy which all others are judged?

Nikon 24-120mm f/4 VR $997 on sale soft on long end?

Nikon 24-85mm f/2.8 -4.0 $670 oldie but goodie?

Nikon 18-35mm f/3.5-4.5 $747 to new to know anything about?

various Tamron & Sigma offerings?

I don't get a chance to spend this much often, and just like you I just want the best I can get for my money.

Would any or all of these lenses be easily better than my great 28-300mm?

Thanks for any help! I really appreciate it!

-- hide signature --

Todd

Todd Jones's gear list:Todd Jones's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR
Nikon D700
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow