Started Mar 7, 2013 | Discussions thread
bobn2
Forum ProPosts: 29,021
Like?
Re: Call your bluf
In reply to howardroark, Mar 11, 2013

howardroark wrote:

jrkliny wrote:

I am the individual who objected to the term "megapixel wars." But I did not intend to touch off a war between forum members. I think we all know that that manufacturers have faced compromises between increasing megapixels and overall sensor performance with noise being the main concern. The issue is really clear with point and shoot cameras. I have a G9 which does really well in bright light, but I hate the noise when I go beyond ISO 100 or 200. So clearly manufacturers have tried to balance the compromise and compete in the marketplace. I guess you can use the term megapixels wars to describe this. I don't like the term but see no reason to make a big stink about it.

Really not a problem. It was probably for dramatic effect more than anything, and it was a term coined out of frustration with marketing tactics rather than image quality.

There is nothing to suggest that the increases in pixel count were due to marketing tactics rather than image quality. The most direct way for a sensor designer to increase image quality is to increase pixel count.

-- hide signature --

Bob

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow