New Canon on 22nd March?

Started Mar 7, 2013 | Discussions thread
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
Re: Call your bluf
In reply to jrkliny, Mar 11, 2013

jrkliny wrote:

I am the individual who objected to the term "megapixel wars." But I did not intend to touch off a war between forum members. I think we all know that that manufacturers have faced compromises between increasing megapixels and overall sensor performance with noise being the main concern. The issue is really clear with point and shoot cameras. I have a G9 which does really well in bright light, but I hate the noise when I go beyond ISO 100 or 200. So clearly manufacturers have tried to balance the compromise and compete in the marketplace. I guess you can use the term megapixels wars to describe this. I don't like the term but see no reason to make a big stink about it.

Really not a problem. It was probably for dramatic effect more than anything, and it was a term coined out of frustration with marketing tactics rather than image quality. There are some great lenses that can resolve a lot of detail, but at the time there was a desire for low-light performance and better dynamic range more than there was for greater pixel densities that were of more use with higher-end lenses. Mind you, that isn't to say nobody wanted more megapixels. That was never part of my statement, implicitly or explicitly.

Point and shoot cameras is exactly where I put my emphasis and I believe I even stated that DSLR's weren't quite in the same boat....but still they weren't immune. No, there is no stink necessary and it wasn't you that made a stink, which I appreciate.

The point in this discussion is that Canon seems to be stagnant and falling behind. Nikon seems to continue to introduce APS-C and FF cameras with higher megapixel counts, better dynamic range and at least equivalent high ISO performance. I am hoping Canon is finally ready to introduce an improved sensor. Even so I am not expecting much. Maybe some modest improvements in resolution/pixel count, dynamic range and high ISO performance. Obviously if Canon introduces camera with higher pixel counts and more noise, they will have failed and lost another battle. Maybe they will even lose me as a customer. I have been waiting quite a while for the opportunity to upgrade to something better than I have.

I guess I'm not as impressed with higher megapixel counts exactly for the reason that for so long that meant a lack of imagination in other areas. It seemed like we got more megapixels because nobody could think of anything better to do. I wouldn't mind a 21 or 24MP 7DMarkII if it had improved dynamic range and lower noise...although even maintaining the same levels would make a large resolution increase tempting. I was so giddy about the G1 X being the camera I'd been waiting years for I really was impressed with Canon.

I did see Canon's deceleration of megapixel/pixel density increases as a good thing. The G1 X is even an improvement in noise over my 7D with a lens that compares well with the 15-85. The Nikon 5000 series was previeously mentioned in graph form, pointing to its trend to improve noise response while increasing MP count. The D5200 was released at the end of 2012. So here's the progression: D5000, 4/2009, 12MP; D5100, 4/2011, 16MP; D5200, 11/2012, 24MP. If the last 4 months, at least in this ONE example, is proof of Nikon's dominance then I'd suggest remembering the product cycles for these companies are a bit off and maybe this is just another example of our short attention spans and reactionary natures. Heck, the D3000, D5000, D7000, DXX (D90, D80) series have all been below 18MP until very recently.

The lower end of Canon's lines do not always lead the pack on sensor technology. The 7D was a surprise since I was expecting the 60D to be my next camera (I had the 30D and the 40D and 50D, 10.1MP and 15.1MP respectively, were good resolution improvements but didn't wow me on features, AF, and other image quality imprvements), but the combination of price, features, and sensor were the kind of upgrade I was looking for.

I think the upcoming 70D and/or 7DMkII announcement will be a similar "wow" moment. The 18MP sensor really isn't that old, and Canon is well aware that a resolution increase is due. As happy as I am with my ancient 7D a 7D Mark II would really have to be something special to get me to spend the money.

-- hide signature --

Jim, AKA camperjim, formerly from liny, Long Island New York

howardroark's gear list:howardroark's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow