[D7000] Out of these 4 macro lenses, which one is THE best?

Started Mar 4, 2013 | Questions thread
jonikon
Senior MemberPosts: 4,800Gear list
Like?
Re: [D7000] Out of these 4 macro lenses, which one is THE best?
In reply to sworth, Mar 11, 2013

sworth wrote:

I have the Tokina 100 2.8. It is a spectacularly sharp lens, and the length is perfect for macro. Any shorter and it's tough to get light in between the camera and the subject and the tip of your lens risks touching your subject. It's also an excellent lens for formal portraits. I have shot with it in a studio setting on sticks and it worked like a champ. Optically, it's just as good as the Nikon 105, and it's built as rugged too. The only advantage that the Nikon has is VR, which definitely helps if you are handholding with a static subject. But other than that, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it.

I bought a Tokina 100 f/2.8 Macro based on the Photozone review and I agree that it is sharp, but it has one flaw that I could not accept, and that is a lack of contrast in certain outdoor lighting conditions, (primarily contra-light) and especially with larger apertures.  I loved the build quality and smooth manual zoom and sharpness  but I reluctantly returned the lens because of the  frustrating contrast issue (veiling flare maybe?). In comparison, the Nikon 60mm f/2.8G AF-S Micro Nikkor AF ED has outstanding micro-contrast in any lighting conditions,( probably due to the Nano Crystal lens coating).

- Jon

jonikon's gear list:jonikon's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon D5100 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
SameNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow