Started Mar 7, 2013 | Discussions thread
qianp2k
Forum ProPosts: 10,350Gear list
Like?
Re: New Canon on 22nd March?
In reply to bobn2, Mar 11, 2013

bobn2 wrote:

jonas ar wrote:

I meant that I have seen picutures from Sony cams using the two sensors with the same exposure (I believe posted by dpr member RicksAstro). They were very similar. The quantitative measurements at DxOmark from a55 and a77 also seem to indicate that they would perform essentially the same and it does seem that the read noise is somewhat smaller in the a77 from your own sensorgen figures? At least in Sony's implementation of the sensor.

Actually, the Sensorgen figures show that the read noise of the 24MP is lower than the 16MP (about 2.5 e- per pixel as opposed to about 3 e- per pixel), which would make the 24MP about equal integrated read noise, as you suggest. It looks like my memory is playing tricks here. So, even that exception to the rule goes.

It only means Sony 24mp sensors are designed later with better read noise but not because it has more MP. Sony could update its 16mp APS-C sensor to have even better read noise. I personally believe 24mp is marketing gimmick - a) it doesn't gain much resolution than 16mp on diminishing return; b) its pixel level IQ is pretty bad even at base ISO that largely makes irrelevant.

-- hide signature --
 qianp2k's gear list:qianp2k's gear list
Sony RX100 Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Sony Alpha 7R +20 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow