28-35mm CV, Leica, Nikon F-Lens recommondation, please?

Started Mar 10, 2013 | Discussions thread
BobYIL
Contributing MemberPosts: 888
Like?
Re: 28-35mm CV, Leica, Nikon F-Lens recommondation, please?
In reply to fujidanny, Mar 11, 2013

fujidanny wrote:

Hi folks,

as i mentioned in my former posts, i like old school photography.

Since i own a CV 15mm f4,5, a Leica 50mm f2,8 an Leica 90mm f2,8 and the adapters, there remains a gap at 28/35 mm.

Please, can you recommend me a affordable Leica mount Voigtlaender or Leica lens or a Nikon F mount AI lens (ro a AF with physical aperture ring) to fill the gap.

Thanks in advance,

Have a nice sunday!

Fujidanny

-- hide signature --

Regarding to the "old school" approach I can not comment for digital as some optical deficiencies may contribute to the character of a lens when its used on film whereas they could be regarded as defects on any sensor. I will try to comment rather on the better (and not so costly) lenses in the range you inquired.

28mm: Biogon 28/2.8 is great, on the APS-C format as sharp as the Biogon 25/2.8 which is Zeiss reference lens for lines/mm resolution. Can be found as G-version or ZM version, almost the same formula but the former costs less than the half of the latter. G-adapters are not expensive anymore.

Leica 28mm asphericals are great too (Elmarit and Summicron) if you can afford them.

35mm: C- Biogon 35/2.8 is another great lens, no distortion, extremely sharp. The bokeh (yes, at f2.8) is so smooth. Biogon 35/2 could be your other choice except the bokeh.  I have used also all Summicron 35mm versions, the best one is the aspherical (for digital..).

For character, if you want it "glow" at the first two apertures then choose Summilux 35/1.4 pre-aspherical (my favorite 35mm for film) and after f2.8 you can not tell it from the Summicron Asph. If you want it to render a tad lower contrast then choose Summaron 35/2.8 which can be sharper than any Summicron you could find and its contrast could match your 50mm Elmar.

BTW, none of the above lenses on an APS-C sensor could deliver the same sharpness at the corners like the Summicron-R 35/2 or Elmarit-R 35/2.8, both E55 version; on smaller formats they perform like reproduction lenses.

If I were you, I would be going with the 35/1.4 Fujifilm which IMHO the best 35 you could put on your camera and then try the "old school" look through post processing or PS.

-- hide signature --

BobYIL

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow