Olympus photo division losses double

Started Mar 11, 2013 | Discussions thread
rovingtim
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,005
Like?
Re: Olympus photo division losses double
In reply to alatchin, Mar 11, 2013

alatchin wrote:

No I suspect this is a result of their releasing higher end P&S cameras such as the XZ-2 and higher end tough cameras and havent seen any real sales.

Agree.

So, a question arises, your division is losing money, do you retreat entirely to m43rds or potentially sell a camera to a large number of relatively captive customers?

I would agree they have captive customers but I would question 'large number'. In business terms, I would probably use something like 'tiny number' or possibly more technically 'teeny tiny number'.

The fact that Olympus was aware of these losses when they made their rather public statements about the next body, I suspect it was already considered.

There is a report they said DSLR and if they did, then you are right. All the actual reports I have seen from OLY have seen said 'product' which does not necessarily signify a DSLR.

Most likely we will see a new DSLR, maybe 2, possibly with a new look. IF Olympus has solved the AF issue, for example, with a moving SLT and EVF, or with on sensor PDAF etc... Or even with a fully functioning AF adapter, we will see it. If not, and I suspect not, we will see a DSLR.

A fully functioning AF adapter or m4/3rds body would be welcome and, if they can do it, a likely development as it puts their 4/3rds lens investment back into play.

Be sure note your last paragraph considering how vocal you have been about Olympus future. Who would I listen to? A forum poster who seems to feel no camera is coming, or the company who will sell me the camera telling me one is on the way?

I am well conditioned to not being listened to on this forum. I've been told directly that I'm not a camera executive and therefore don't know what I'm talking about. This occurred when I said the E3 would signify the end of the professional 4/3rds market. I note that only a handful of pros remain, and none are high fliers.

When I said that m4/3rds would mean the end of 4/3rds investment I was told I was wrong, Oly knows what they are doing, they won't abandon another system, I'm not a camera executive (again) and, well, here we are.

If it were not for the vague reports that Oly said they would invest in a 4/3rds body, I would be more certain. As it is, I'm only 95% sure.

Feel free to ignore me as most do on this forum. I should call myself Cassandra.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
TimNew
YawnNew
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow